Sunday, April 03, 2005

Whom do I serve when it comes to money?

“God has not called us to do what seems possible, reasonable or normally attainable; He has called us to do the impossible. He wants us to stretch beyond our ability, our faith, and our capacity to reason. He wants us to do more than we could ever imagine or dream.” Graham Cooke

Matthew 6: 24 “You cannot be a slave of two masters; you will hate one and love the other; you will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Money is a subject which is discussed on many occasions in the bible. In the Good News Bible the word is mentioned on 200 occasions. The word is used in 21 out of 38 books in the Old Testament and 14 out of 28 books in the New Testament. This represents a mention in 55% of the Old Testament books and 50% of the New Testament books.

When I think about money does it bring positive or negative thoughts into my mind?

If I’m honest who or what do I look to for my security? Do I want to rely on God but in reality rely on my pay packet to provide me the ability to live in this world?

1. Should we worry about providing for ourselves?
Read Matthew 6: 25 – 31.
This passage of scripture challenges us around the genuine concern we often have in providing responsibly for ourselves and those around us.

Language such as
· Do not be worried about the food and drink you need in order to stay alive, or about clothes for your body. After all, isn't life worth more than food? And isn't the body worth more than clothes?
· Can any of you live a bit longer by worrying about it?
· Why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow: they do not work or make clothes for themselves.
· So do not start worrying: 'Where will my food come from? or my drink? or my clothes?'

It would be easy to think that Jesus was simply being irresponsible by suggesting not to worry about looking after yourself. Mature individuals take responsibility for looking after themselves rather than looking to others to give them handouts all the time.
Jesus was not challenging being responsible at all but simply asking whether worrying would help.

How much time do I spend thinking about my daily and weekly needs and planning towards making that all happen?

Jesus knew that we have the capacity to worry about ourselves and our capacity to want to DO something about ‘getting ahead’ in life. Survival is one of a human’s strongest motivators and it is impossible to live in the world without sustaining one self in one form or another.
Jesus had a different perspective and gives an answer at the end of the chapter.

Matthew 6:33 - 34 ‘Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you, and he will provide you with all these other things. So do not worry about tomorrow; it will have enough worries of its own. There is no need to add to the troubles each day brings.’

What practical ways can I use to focus on the Kingdom of God rather than my current physical needs?

http://www.wheresthemoneygone.com/home.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home